Nowadays, it’s not uncommon to witness playground injuries.
This article has listed top 5 types of injuries that can be avoided as long as the playground is built according to safety standards.
1. Kids falling on the ground accidentally without surface protection is the major cause.
ASTM – 1487 has claimed that the ground should be covered by materials that can alleviate danger from falling.
2. Play areas are not divided according to age groups.
The rule for choosing playgrounds for different age groups is: the older, the bigger with more challenge.
For example, toddlers should not play merry-go-rounds or spring rockers. The preschools should not play arch climbers or overhead rings.
3. Proper guardrails or barriers are not in place.
This is another reason why fall is the major cause for playground injury cases.
4. In-fills like bolts are not covered properly.
Due to its sharpness, children can get hurt easily during play.
5. Openings between 3.5 inches and 9 inches could present an entrapment.
3.5 inches (~8.9cm) is the average width of children’s legs and 9 inches (~23cm) is the width of head. Any openings should be less than 3.5 inches wide or greater than 9 inches so children won’t get entrapped.